Roadside Brush Chipping
Please call the Township Office and ask to be placed on the Chipping List when the brush is at the curb or road shoulder and ready for chipping.
Williams Township continues to offer a roadside residential brush chipping service. The township chipping service is offered for residents that have trimmed their trees themselves, or to clean up brush after a storm, as an alternative to open burning. Following is the Township's policy regarding brush chipping:
- Please call the Township Office to be placed on the "Chipping List" when the brush is ready to chip.
- Brush must be placed at the road shoulder with all stems facing towards the road.
- Brush must be cut small enough and piled appropriately for one person to reasonably handle.
- Brush up to 4 inches in diameter can be chipped.
- The first 30 minutes of chipping per month is free. Additional time above 30 minutes per month will be charged at a rate as set by the Township Board, currently $50 per hour. The Township will make exceptions to the 30 minute limitation for a period following a major storm such as the 2007 winter ice storm.
- Please limit chipping requests to one per month.
- Brush must be from your residential address and not hauled in from another location.
- Root balls must be removed from all shrubs and bushes. Dirt and stones embedded in root balls may damage the chipper.
- Commercial tree cutting services and "For-Hire" tree cutters must dispose of the trees and brush they cut and trim.
Whenever you have a small amount of brush, please bag it or bundle it up for Waste Management to pick up on your normal trash pickup date. Brush for Waste Management pickup must be placed in paper yard waste bags, or tied together in bundles up to 24 inches in diameter, up to 48 inches in length, and weighing no more than 50 pounds per bundle, with individual pieces not exceeding 2 inches in diameter.